9 replies to this topic

#1 elementur

elementur

FireworksCommander

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 04:24 PM

I am wondering if anyone here knows how to select a certain part of a gray picture and color it in. For example, I take a picture of three of my friends in gray then in Fireworks I would single out one of them by having them in color. Something Fergie's "Glamorous". I think it looks like a cool effect to add to pictures. Is it possible?

#2 abeall

abeall

FireworksNut

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 06:11 PM

It would probably be easier to take a color image and make parts of it grayscale. You can make things grayscale using the Hue/Saturation effect(found in the filters menu or as a live effect) -- just change the saturation(which is basically the vibrancy of color) to 0. There are a number of ways you could then isolate an object to be the colored part.

And welcome to fwguru. :)

#3 elementur

elementur

FireworksCommander

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 07:27 PM

It would probably be easier to take a color image and make parts of it grayscale. You can make things grayscale using the Hue/Saturation effect(found in the filters menu or as a live effect) -- just change the saturation(which is basically the vibrancy of color) to 0. There are a number of ways you could then isolate an object to be the colored part.

And welcome to fwguru. :)

I was going to edit my post because I realized I had it backwards, but I forgot. :dunno: That is exactly what I wanted to do. So how is it that you isolate an object in the picture?

(I actually registered a while back but didn't post much. I came back a few days ago and see that I had no posts or anything else. But either way, thank you! :)

#4 abeall

abeall

FireworksNut

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 08:21 PM

Ah, welcome back then. :)

Well, there are always many ways to do something, but here's how I'd probably do it:

1) Select your image bitmap
2) In the Properties panel, look for the filters box. Click the [+] to add a filter, and choose Adjust Color > Hue/Saturation...
3) Set the Hue/Saturation values to 0 Hue, -100 Saturation, 0 Lightness(make sure Colorize is not selected). This will turn the image to grayscale.
4) Clone the image(Edit > Clone)
5) With the clone, remove the Hue/Saturation, so it's now back to color. You now have two images, the one below is grayscale, the one above is colored. Now you just have to make the colored one above be isolated to the subject.
6) I would use the Pen or Vector Path tool to outline the subject. I would then select the path and the colored image, and choose Modify > Mask > Group as Mask. This tutorial also might help with bitmap isolation: http://www.pixelyzed...ovebackgrounds/
6b) Alternatively, you could use the eraser tool to erase background pixels on the colored image, or selection tools to delete parts. This is how I used to always do it, but the problem with this is that once you delete pixels, they are gone for good(unless you undo), so if later you realize you accidentally chopped off part of aunt Sue's head, you have to start over. With a vector mask, or even a bitmap mask, you can just tweak the mask at any point in the future and recover parts of the image.

Hope that makes sense. Attached is a sample file with both colored options mentioned(vector mask and erased pixels).

Attached Images

• isolate.fw.png

#5 elementur

elementur

FireworksCommander

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 08:59 PM

I will try this next time I start up FW. Thank you for your time and help. :)

#6 jasika

jasika

FireworksCommander

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 02:44 AM

There are a many ways to you do that,it would probably be easier to take a color image and make parts of it grayscale,You can make things grayscale using the Hue/Saturation effect just change the saturation to, There are a number of ways you could then isolate an object to be the colored part.

#7 phoen!x

phoen!x

Fireworks Sparkle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 08:03 AM

Ah, welcome back then. :)

Well, there are always many ways to do something, but here's how I'd probably do it:

1) Select your image bitmap
2) In the Properties panel, look for the filters box. Click the [+] to add a filter, and choose Adjust Color > Hue/Saturation...
3) Set the Hue/Saturation values to 0 Hue, -100 Saturation, 0 Lightness(make sure Colorize is not selected). This will turn the image to grayscale.
4) Clone the image(Edit > Clone)
5) With the clone, remove the Hue/Saturation, so it's now back to color. You now have two images, the one below is grayscale, the one above is colored. Now you just have to make the colored one above be isolated to the subject.
6) I would use the Pen or Vector Path tool to outline the subject. I would then select the path and the colored image, and choose Modify > Mask > Group as Mask. This tutorial also might help with bitmap isolation: http://www.pixelyzed...ovebackgrounds/
6b) Alternatively, you could use the eraser tool to erase background pixels on the colored image, or selection tools to delete parts. This is how I used to always do it, but the problem with this is that once you delete pixels, they are gone for good(unless you undo), so if later you realize you accidentally chopped off part of aunt Sue's head, you have to start over. With a vector mask, or even a bitmap mask, you can just tweak the mask at any point in the future and recover parts of the image.

Hope that makes sense. Attached is a sample file with both colored options mentioned(vector mask and erased pixels).

Great Tutorial.......Just Awesome....Was Able To Do It And The Result Was Great.....Thanx A Lot

#8 Fireworkszone

Fireworkszone

FireMonk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Interests:Exploring Fireworks

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:30 AM

You can check out my video tutorial: How to make items and people stand out to create the effect you want.

#9 raja

raja

FireMonkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 07:16 AM

what about hue and saturation effect??? i think its the best option

#10 phpmaestro

phpmaestro

FireStarter

• Members