• This topic is locked This topic is locked
46 replies to this topic

#1 andy

andy

FireStarter

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Web development, Fitness and weight training.

Posted 11 July 2007 - 01:13 PM

Hi guys I'm knew to the forum.

Iv recently finished a college course in web development and I'm looking to go full time university after the summer in Internet software development. Anyway iv learned to use Fireworks/dreamweaver/flash and XHTML/CSS, javascript etc... I find I'm very good at the technical site of things like using the software packages and coding the CSS layouts but I lack the artistic flare to be a good designer.

I'm currently trying to setup a social networking site sort of like a Myspace or faceparty for fitness enthusiasts/bodybuilders, I'm using Joomla with the Community builder extension and various modules. So far Iv designed a prototype layout which I think is ok'ish.... but it lacks something I think. It needs more zing!! I'm happy with the basic layout including the header and base its the module positions I'm having major style issues with, I just don't know how to style them in a way that fits the header and logo and looks good! I'm also trying to design little icons to stick next to the module titles like the little speech bubble Iv put next to the Discussion title but it looks crap I'm just not arty enough.

Anyway Iv attached the fireworks PNG file for you to look at, All advice is welcome and feel free to make changes to the file.

Nice forum by the way! What software is this forum running on?

Attached Images

• header_sliced8.2.png

#2 andy

andy

FireStarter

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 05:42 PM

Hi guys I'm knew to the forum.

Iv recently finished a college course in web development and I'm looking to go full time university after the summer in Internet software development. Anyway iv learned to use Fireworks/dreamweaver/flash and XHTML/CSS, javascript etc... I find I'm very good at the technical site of things like using the software packages and coding the CSS layouts but I lack the artistic flare to be a good designer.

I'm currently trying to setup a social networking site sort of like a Myspace or faceparty for fitness enthusiasts/bodybuilders, I'm using Joomla with the Community builder extension and various modules. So far Iv designed a prototype layout which I think is ok'ish.... but it lacks something I think. It needs more zing!! I'm happy with the basic layout including the header and base its the module positions I'm having major style issues with, I just don't know how to style them in a way that fits the header and logo and looks good! I'm also trying to design little icons to stick next to the module titles like the little speech bubble Iv put next to the Discussion title but it looks crap I'm just not arty enough.

Anyway Iv attached the fireworks PNG file for you to look at, All advice is welcome and feel free to make changes to the file.
Nice forum by the way! What software is this forum running on?

25 views and not even a comment :(

#3 rjsmith2007

rjsmith2007

FireworksNut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 07:56 PM

I think that the design looks good. Its fits the style of the type of site you are trying to do.

This forum runs on IP Board.

Nit Picks:

Some of your boxes are blurry on the edges. You can fix this by moving the points from half or mid pixels to the edge of the pixel. If you have the CS3 version of Fireworks, there is a panel with a script that will automatically snap to pixels if you select your shape.

The input boxes look pretty nasty, you might want to make them a little simpler or smoother. (aka no sharp bevel).

You have a limited color palette right now, so you may want to add another color somewhere. (Maybe green or blue)

I don't want to ever see you write or say that you have no artistic talent. Your site looks great. ;)

*Welcome to teh Fireworksguru Forum!

#4 andy

andy

FireStarter

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 02:17 AM

I think that the design looks good. Its fits the style of the type of site you are trying to do.

This forum runs on IP Board.

Nit Picks:

Some of your boxes are blurry on the edges. You can fix this by moving the points from half or mid pixels to the edge of the pixel. If you have the CS3 version of Fireworks, there is a panel with a script that will automatically snap to pixels if you select your shape.

The input boxes look pretty nasty, you might want to make them a little simpler or smoother. (aka no sharp bevel).

You have a limited color palette right now, so you may want to add another color somewhere. (Maybe green or blue)

I don't want to ever see you write or say that you have no artistic talent. Your site looks great. ;)

Thanks man I always doubt my own work for some reason. Its fireworks 8 I'm using not sure how to move the points? The input boxes are just generic input boxes they will probably look slightly different on each person computer who views the site.

Yeah I was thinking about using another color for the icons next to the main topics I'm trying to create. But IV always had a problem with colors I seem to pick colors that clash can you suggest a another color that would fit in well with the site? I could probably do with some of you guys downloading the .png and havening a play with it to give me some inspiration.

#5 MagdalenaH

MagdalenaH

FireworksNut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 04:38 AM

I absolutely agree with Zero - you should not say you don't have the artistic talent, cause some people who have much less of it then you claim to be full of it. :suspicious:

Re. colors: you gotta be careful that body builders don't see it as "girly", it being red and pink. I'd say to go with a more "manly" color to dominate, then highlight with some warm colors. Don't get me wrong - I LOVE your color scheme, but I am just afraid that your potential users might find it not appropriate. Maybe I am wrong, I don't know :dunno: .... just thinking out loud

Keep up the good work!

M. :)

#6 andy

andy

FireStarter

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 04:59 AM

I absolutely agree with Zero - you should not say you don't have the artistic talent, cause some people who have much less of it then you claim to be full of it. :suspicious:

Re. colors: you gotta be careful that body builders don't see it as "girly", it being red and pink. I'd say to go with a more "manly" color to dominate, then highlight with some warm colors. Don't get me wrong - I LOVE your color scheme, but I am just afraid that your potential users might find it not appropriate. Maybe I am wrong, I don't know :dunno: .... just thinking out loud

Keep up the good work!

M. :)

LOL never thought of that! The pinks only really on the banner space which will be filled with something when it goes live. And Im going to try and aim the site at pure fitness people as well as bodybuilders because in order for the site to be successful I think it will have to have lots sexy fitness babes profiles on their ;).

#7 andy

andy

FireStarter

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 05:07 AM

LOL never thought of that! The pinks only really on the banner space which will be filled with something when it goes live. And Im going to try and aim the site at pure fitness people as well as bodybuilders because in order for the site to be successful I think it will have to have lots sexy fitness babes profiles on their ;).

Another thing is I never actually created that logo. I paid $25 for somebody else to do it so i only have it in gif format, Do you think there is any way i could get that converted into a vector format without redoing it by hand in fireworks? Iv tried live trace in a couple of other software packages but it never turns out well. I'm not sure I'm good enough to recreate the little black figure in the logo by hand with just the vector tools in fireworks. But then again the guy might have just gotten that image from a clip art collection who knows. IT was ages ago before Id even been to on the college course.

#8 so1980==MikeTaylor

so1980==MikeTaylor

FireworksNut

• FwGurus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:Fireworks, Sociolinguistics, Dialects, New York City, & Burritos.

Posted 12 July 2007 - 05:16 AM

hey there andy-

welcome to the forum. for color, you should definately play with http://kuler.adobe.com. You can check out popular color schemes, or create your own based on a few colors in your design that you like. And you can even download an AIR widget.

for your logo, what do you want vectorized, just the body builder and the text? do you have the font?

#9 rjsmith2007

rjsmith2007

FireworksNut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 09:18 AM

You can move points by using the white arrow selection tool. Just zoom in really close and move the pixel over until it shows a clean line.

#10 andy

andy

FireStarter

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:35 AM

hey there andy-

welcome to the forum. for color, you should definately play with http://kuler.adobe.com. You can check out popular color schemes, or create your own based on a few colors in your design that you like. And you can even download an AIR widget.

for your logo, what do you want vectorized, just the body builder and the text? do you have the font?

Yeah I have the font but its not identical but its not identical to the logo I think the logo creator has been playing with the font a bit. Yeah its just the text and the little black figure with the swoosh I want vectorized. The font is "Sci Fied X" I think, well that as close as i can found to it.

#11 andy

andy

FireStarter

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:35 AM

You can move points by using the white arrow selection tool. Just zoom in really close and move the pixel over until it shows a clean line.

ah i see what you mean now. Ill give it a try.

#12 andy

andy

FireStarter

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 09:13 AM

So does anybody want to download the png file and have a play with it to see if they can improve it a bit? :thumbsup: Iv been playing with the colors but other than clearing up the blurry edges and stuff im still kinda at a loss on how to improve it. Im also looking for ideas on how i could improve the featured profile module maybe make it stand out a bit by adding a rosset or star or something dunno....

#13 andy

andy

FireStarter

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 04:26 PM

Where exactly is this panel in CS3?

#14 rjsmith2007

rjsmith2007

FireworksNut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:50 PM

If you want to access the paths panel, go to the menubar and click Windows, Others, Path.

CS3 should add the panel to the right hand side or as a free floating panel.

#15 andy

andy

FireStarter

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 04:01 AM

If you want to access the paths panel, go to the menubar and click Windows, Others, Path.

CS3 should add the panel to the right hand side or as a free floating panel.

So just go through all the shapes and use the round points to pixels option?

#16 andy

andy

FireStarter

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 04:06 AM

IV improved the the menu bar at the top a little still not sure about additional colors tho, Been playing with color wheel programs and stuff but cant get anything to look good.

Attached Images

• header_sliced8.2.png

#17 stompwampa

stompwampa

FireworksNut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 09:59 AM

IV improved the the menu bar at the top a little still not sure about additional colors tho, Been playing with color wheel programs and stuff but cant get anything to look good.

I made some changes to the content area:

1. Put everything onto a single gray background instead of each piece on it's own rectangle. I think this adds a little more continuity to the design.

2. You has some of your titles in all caps and some not. I made them all the same.

3. I like the "Discussion Bubble" graphic you have on the Discussions module, however, it looks out of place without a graphic on every other module. I copied it to each of the other ones, though I don't like that particular graphic for each module. Perhaps you could come up with something fitting for each section, as you have with the discussion area.

4. I made a few alignment changes so all your titles line up with each other and all the modules line up with each other.

5. Rearranged the content area. I think you should put your welcome message as close to the top as possible. I also move the banner ad to the bottom. Unless you are required to have the banner ad in the middle, I would move it to the bottom. No one likes to have thier visit to a website broken up with banner ad right in the middle of the page. ;-)

I really like everything else. I kinda played around with some other changes, but I didn't keep any of them because I ended up liking what you had a lot better. Nice work! Enjoy!

-Stomp

Attached Images

• header_sliced8.2.png

#18 andy

andy

FireStarter

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 10:44 AM

I made some changes to the content area:

1. Put everything onto a single gray background instead of each piece on it's own rectangle. I think this adds a little more continuity to the design.

2. You has some of your titles in all caps and some not. I made them all the same.

3. I like the "Discussion Bubble" graphic you have on the Discussions module, however, it looks out of place without a graphic on every other module. I copied it to each of the other ones, though I don't like that particular graphic for each module. Perhaps you could come up with something fitting for each section, as you have with the discussion area.

4. I made a few alignment changes so all your titles line up with each other and all the modules line up with each other.

5. Rearranged the content area. I think you should put your welcome message as close to the top as possible. I also move the banner ad to the bottom. Unless you are required to have the banner ad in the middle, I would move it to the bottom. No one likes to have thier visit to a website broken up with banner ad right in the middle of the page. ;-)

I really like everything else. I kinda played around with some other changes, but I didn't keep any of them because I ended up liking what you had a lot better. Nice work! Enjoy!

-Stomp

Yeah thanks a lot man Thats exactly what I was looking for! another persons perspective is always a big help I always run out of momentum and need a kick start :thumbsup:

I was already thinking about the single gray background as its alot simpler to create in my CSS file. All title were meant to be in Caps also. I might put the banner right at the top, Ill see when the site goes live. Ill be trying to squeeze in as many banners as possible without spoiling the sites appeal to the users. Its the only thing that will keep the site alive if I get a lot of members and have to move to a dedicated server as I'm only a student and poor.

The discussion bubble it looks better with your mods , Iv changed the color in my revised layout to a more orangy red. Thats the thing I'm useless at creating icons and stuff unless Im following a tutorial I was hoping some of you guys would come up with some ideas for more fitting icons at each module position Ill give a go and see what i can come up with.

What do you think about my revised nav bar? The original looked crap on my working prototype.

#19 stompwampa

stompwampa

FireworksNut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 06:23 PM

What do you think about my revised nav bar? The original looked crap on my working prototype.

I actually liked the original nav bar better.

#20 rjsmith2007

rjsmith2007

FireworksNut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 11:24 PM

Here is my redesign. If you can get a nice transparent version of the logo, that would be great. I left it out, because of the white edges.

fitphysiques.png

#21 stompwampa

stompwampa

FireworksNut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:36 AM

Here is my redesign. If you can get a nice transparent version of the logo, that would be great. I left it out, because of the white edges.

Nice, rjsmith.

I like how you made the Sign Up now button really bold and obvious.

That should be one of the first things the user sees when they load the site...especially for this type of site.

I like the header too, thought I think the transition from the header into the nave seems a little harsh...it almost looks like the header is out of place to me.

Either way though, you always do great work!

#22 andy

andy

FireStarter

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:22 AM

fitphysiques.png

Wow! that is a major redesign! I like certain aspects of it but not the header I much prefer my original header with the scanline effect and the picture of the bodybuilder on the right. In my working model the image of the bodybuilder changes every time the header reloads I have a few images that load up both men and women it was part of my design. I dunno if id be able to adapt that to fit in with aspects of what you have done,

I really like black and red color scheme and the way you have the site set out. your version of the main menu is better than mine. Do you think its possible to get a header of similar design to my original to fit in with your changes?

Ah the logo unfortunately i don't have the vector version of it and the original creator has ignored several emails from me so it looks like Ill either have to try and recreate the logo myself or get another one designed from scratch. The logo text isn't a problem as the font is sci fied x. But Iv not got the skills to create the little black figure in vector format.

#23 rjsmith2007

rjsmith2007

FireworksNut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 01:33 PM

If you can give me a better version of your logo, I can incorporate the image of the body builder into this design.

#24 andy

andy

FireStarter

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 02:41 PM

If you can give me a better version of your logo, I can incorporate the image of the body builder into this design.

Yeah go ahead with the bodybuilder mate mate :thumbsup:

Iv only got a four copy's of the logo in gif format one small and one large non-transparent gif and one small and one large transparent. Its the large transparent file i have in the original design i uploaded which has the ruff edges.

Im not sure about the fonts because all my fonts will be controlled by the CSS file and as far as im aware if you want your site to be complaint on as many computer platforms as possible you have to stick to the basic fonts such as aerial, veranda, san serif, which are installed on nearly all computers in the world. Is corbel one of the universal fonts? I'm not sure iv never really used it before.

One the whole great work mate, On closer inspection in fireworks I can see your way ahead of me. Very professional !!

Iv uploaded my attempt at incorporating the bodybuilder LOL

Attached Images

• fitphysiques1.2.png

#25 stompwampa

stompwampa

FireworksNut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 03:09 PM

Ah the logo unfortunately i don't have the vector version of it and the original creator has ignored several emails from me so it looks like Ill either have to try and recreate the logo myself or get another one designed from scratch. The logo text isn't a problem as the font is sci fied x. But Iv not got the skills to create the little black figure in vector format.

Here's your logo....VECTORIFIED! ;-)

The paths need a little touching up...but even if you leave it like this, no one will notice once it is scaled down ;-)

I had to guess on the font for the website address....arial was about as close as I had available.

Attached Images

• Fit_Physiques_LOGO.png

#26 andy

andy

FireStarter

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 04:03 PM

Here's your logo....VECTORIFIED! ;-)

The paths need a little touching up...but even if you leave it like this, no one will notice once it is scaled down ;-)

I had to guess on the font for the website address....arial was about as close as I had available.

Thanks man Iv actually tried to make a vector copy myself using the actual Sci Fied X font in fireworks, I converted the text to paths and tried to trace over the original gif. Iv got pretty close on the text. Iv uploaded the font as well.

Attached Images

• logoattempt.png

#27 rjsmith2007

rjsmith2007

FireworksNut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 11:35 PM

fitphysiques.png

#28 kelton

kelton

FireworksNut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Interests:web design, logo design, user interface design

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:36 AM

fitphysiques.png

Zero this is really nice.. what if the logo was in white instead of black?

#29 andy

andy

FireStarter

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:54 AM

THAT IS PHENOMENAL MATE! I may well go ahead and use that for my site, Ill probably have to change the fonts from corbel to something more generic and maybe adjust the bit where is says newsfeeds blogs because i don't know if you realized but that is actually a submenu of the main menu and newsfeeds and blogs would be child menu items of contact. How did you vectorize the little black figure in the logo? I was going to attempt it in AI as a learning exercise. Is there any tutorials where i can learn to do all the little highlight composite paths they really take the designs to the next level.

#30 andy

andy

FireStarter

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 02:17 PM

Ok Iv spent some time cleaning up and improving the vector figure Since its my main logo. Could you add the highlighting effects for me as I'm not sure how to do it properly?

Attached Images

• logoattempt2.png

#31 rjsmith2007

rjsmith2007

FireworksNut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 02:57 PM

If you are going to replace Corbel, try Trebuchet MS bold at about 14px. I think that it looks best as a heading. Please dont use Arial too much. I'll try to get the logo on there when I get a chance.

The best way to vectorize something is to simply outline it with the pen tool. You dont actually trace it. You just make a point at critical points on the shape (like where it curves or ends). After you get it about right, you can go back and adjust each points arms until you are satisfied with it.

#32 andy

andy

FireStarter

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 08:50 AM

If you are going to replace Corbel, try Trebuchet MS bold at about 14px. I think that it looks best as a heading. Please dont use Arial too much. I'll try to get the logo on there when I get a chance.

The best way to vectorize something is to simply outline it with the pen tool. You dont actually trace it. You just make a point at critical points on the shape (like where it curves or ends). After you get it about right, you can go back and adjust each points arms until you are satisfied with it.

Okey mate cheers

#33 andy

andy

FireStarter

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 04:44 AM

I'm not sure which one I'm going to go for now :unsure: I like the layout of your design rjsmith2007 its much better than my original layout but it just seem a bit too red and I'm not sure if the footer area is good because I plan to put a lot of links and stuff in the footer, maybe a plain footer area would be better. I feel a combination of both designs would be better, Maybe my original header with your main body layout and the nav bar and footer adjusted to fit in.

OH my head hurts!!!

Anybody else got an opinion?

#34 MagdalenaH

MagdalenaH

FireworksNut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 05:55 AM

I'm not sure which one I'm going to go for now :unsure: I like the layout of your design rjsmith2007 its much better than my original layout but it just seem a bit too red and I'm not sure if the footer area is good because I plan to put a lot of links and stuff in the footer, maybe a plain footer area would be better. I feel a combination of both designs would be better, Maybe my original header with your main body layout and the nav bar and footer adjusted to fit in.

OH my head hurts!!!

Anybody else got an opinion?

You are right - it went from fairly light to quite heavy and dark layout.... Personally, I think going in a lighter direction would better suit the theme.

#35 andy

andy

FireStarter

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 11:11 AM

LOL both designs have been slated badly on a couple of other design forums, I have been given advice to do a total redesign as it sucks! and it looks like a man love site thinly disguised as a fitness site ! LOL

#36 MagdalenaH

MagdalenaH

FireworksNut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 12:16 PM

LOL both designs have been slated badly on a couple of other design forums, I have been given advice to do a total redesign as it sucks! and it looks like a man love site thinly disguised as a fitness site ! LOL

lol - I told you so - I was skeptical about the red color scheme too :)

#37 Adam!

Adam!

Fireworker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 03:30 AM

I just feel uncomfy looking at semi-naked men posing.
[runs away]

#38 andy

andy

FireStarter

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 01:57 PM

Arrrgghh this is doing my head in now! $50 to anybody who can improve this design and I use it. Perhaps its needing a complete color scheme change. I like rjsmiths main body layout and nav bar but the footer and header is too heavy and the red colour is getting slated badly. I like the look of this site http://bullpoo.com/explore/. But im open to any design.

#39 MagdalenaH

MagdalenaH

FireworksNut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 04:10 AM

Arrrgghh this is doing my head in now! $50 to anybody who can improve this design and I use it. Perhaps its needing a complete color scheme change. I like rjsmiths main body layout and nav bar but the footer and header is too heavy and the red colour is getting slated badly. I like the look of this site http://bullpoo.com/explore/. But im open to any design.

You might find inspiration here. When I am stuck with lack of inspiration, I usually check out sites like this. I never copy other designs, but what you might find is just the placement of elements that suits you, or just that perfect color scheme... There are probaby other sites like this one, I am not endorsing them or anything like that...

#40 KendallOhio

KendallOhio

Fireworks Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 09:35 AM

The only thing I would caution you on is design sites and forums that are overtly negative. Constructive criticism is great and can be quite useful but there are some people that are just bent on slamming everyone that does not fit in their small little mold. I know I use to go to a design magazine forum site but found that most of time I was not getting helpful advice, just snide remarks and infantile comments.

I think your layout is a great start and for the color scheme I would just play around with color palettes and find one that suits you the best. :)

#41 andy

andy

FireStarter

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 01:20 PM

yeah that forum is quite negative as I have never had a single positive replay on almost any post iv made their!

MagdelanH: yeah i often do browse sites like that for inspiration, Iv just had a certain look and style set in my mind for fitphysiques but I cant quite make it work, Im no designer and although I have an idea a the look in my mind making it come true is a different story.

Having said that I quite like the look of this http://www.templatem...m...0630&tab=32

#42 stompwampa

stompwampa

FireworksNut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 06:32 AM

yeah that forum is quite negative as I have never had a single positive replay on almost any post iv made their!

MagdelanH: yeah i often do browse sites like that for inspiration, Iv just had a certain look and style set in my mind for fitphysiques but I cant quite make it work, Im no designer and although I have an idea a the look in my mind making it come true is a different story.

Having said that I quite like the look of this http://www.templatem...m...0630&tab=32

Hey Andy -

YES, you are a designer. Don't ever say that you aren't. The simple fact that you designed something makes you a designer. No amount of schooling or design theory knowledge can make someone into a designer. A good design makes someone into a designer and you, my friend, have a good design.

That said, I would work with the colors a little bit as I can see how the site could be misconstrued to be some sort of gay dating service in disguise. However, I would also caution about looking around template site because, at least for me, I always find something I like and then I get stuck on it. I end up copying it more than anything...which is never good, and it really doesn't help me to learn new techniques.
IF you can be objective and be able to look at other designs and be able to look at the elements separately you will have a much easier time finding inspiration. If you can just look at the colors, or just look at placement or alignment it will be much easier to incorporate those themes into your designs rather than copying what you see because it already looks good.

[/2 cents]

#43 MagdalenaH

MagdalenaH

FireworksNut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 10:01 AM

Hey Andy -

YES, you are a designer. Don't ever say that you aren't. The simple fact that you designed something makes you a designer. No amount of schooling or design theory knowledge can make someone into a designer. A good design makes someone into a designer and you, my friend, have a good design.

That said, I would work with the colors a little bit as I can see how the site could be misconstrued to be some sort of gay dating service in disguise. However, I would also caution about looking around template site because, at least for me, I always find something I like and then I get stuck on it. I end up copying it more than anything...which is never good, and it really doesn't help me to learn new techniques.
IF you can be objective and be able to look at other designs and be able to look at the elements separately you will have a much easier time finding inspiration. If you can just look at the colors, or just look at placement or alignment it will be much easier to incorporate those themes into your designs rather than copying what you see because it already looks good.

[/2 cents]

I second this :)

#44 jamjammo

jamjammo

FireworksFreak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 07:43 PM

Amazing sites for inspiration are CSS galleries. I love how many of them use fine gradients and highlights.

http://www.logoorang...logo-design.php
http://www.mostinspired.com/
http://thebestdesigns.com/

And the absolute best?
http://www.smashingm...esign-showcase/

@ANDY
Be careful with taking too much at one time!
Try to just start with a color scheme (http://www.colourlovers.com/)
Determine whether you will use 2-columns? 3-columns? fixed width? floating width?
You mentioned this is a social networking site, what CMS are you using? WP? WPMU? other?
If you are using a CMS, then check their themes/skins for something 'similar' in layout that you like, you can always modify the rest, giving you a unique look, without spending forever on the entire layout.

#45 andy

andy

FireStarter

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 01:59 PM

Amazing sites for inspiration are CSS galleries. I love how many of them use fine gradients and highlights.

http://www.logoorang...logo-design.php
http://www.mostinspired.com/
http://thebestdesigns.com/

And the absolute best?
http://www.smashingm...esign-showcase/

@ANDY
Be careful with taking too much at one time!
Try to just start with a color scheme (http://www.colourlovers.com/)
Determine whether you will use 2-columns? 3-columns? fixed width? floating width?
You mentioned this is a social networking site, what CMS are you using? WP? WPMU? other?
If you are using a CMS, then check their themes/skins for something 'similar' in layout that you like, you can always modify the rest, giving you a unique look, without spending forever on the entire layout.

Those are good links mate!

Im using joomla cms with the community builder module as stated earlier. I already determined most of what you mentioned right at the start, I wanted a two column fixed width template just like I made in the original design, I just have a bit of difficulty with color schemes ect.. I decided to build my own joomla template as a learning experience but i have look extensively at many of the ready made joomla templates out their and picked them apart to see how it was done.

Im going to go ahead and just use the red template for the moment as a beta just to get the site online and up and running. After that In a few weeks i might do one of those competitions on sitepoint, You know you offer a prize money and set a time limit and people put up their designs and you pick a winner. Ill offer $200 or something for a full front page and logo update and see what comes up! Might be worth a try i think. Im much more into the technical side of web development than the design part, Its much less stressful for me.

#46 jamjammo

jamjammo

FireworksFreak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 01:46 AM

... Im much more into the technical side of web development than the design part, Its much less stressful for me.

Yeah, me too!

I'd rather sit and code a site, rather than design the GUI. Although Fireworks has such amazing functionality, I can't help playing with it daily. Especially now that I've got a ton of new tutorials and resources around these forums.

#47 andy91

andy91

Fireworker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 04:07 PM

Just a quick update for you guys, Iv been going ahead and turning rjsmith2007's final version in an actual joomla template for my site. Should be ready to launch the site in beta form soon although Im going to have to adapted the design to accommodate tabbed module positions and Im not sure how that will turn out. Iv been busy with another project that I feel ill be able to get up and running faster than the fitness site.