• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Bill Gregg

Bill Gregg

Fireworker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Native plants, cooking, language, history, politics, maps, ActionScript, JavaScript, vector art

Posted 02 March 2007 - 12:08 PM

Fireworks needs graphic style sheets. Style sheets that you could set up to parallel the CSS styles on a big, established site, or edit to quickly show different color schemes for a new site design.

I don't create actual graphic files for use on our corporate website--I just design web apps and web pages for others to build. Given that, drawing apps work equally well or better for creating mock-ups. In FreeHand or Illustrator I can use style sheets to (1) modify elements across pages and frames and (2) maintain design consistency by using them to format text and objects.

Bill Gregg

#2 abeall

abeall

FireworksNut

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 10:19 PM

Fireworks does have a Window > Styles, which is similar to the FreeHand Styles and Illustrator Graphic Styles. Is that not what you mean?

#3 Bill Gregg

Bill Gregg

Fireworker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Native plants, cooking, language, history, politics, maps, ActionScript, JavaScript, vector art

Posted 04 March 2007 - 12:10 PM

They don't attach to the object in any way as styles in Illustrator or FreeHand (or Word or Quark or InDesign or PageMaker, etc., etc.) do. They're really presets. You can change the scope of the style by selecting "Edit" from the Styles palette menu, but that's about it. You can't change, say, the fill color or the line width or the font in a text style. And even if you could change the style definition in the palette, it wouldn't change the objects which you've applied it to, because Fireworks doesn't record that info anywhere.

This is a big help when doing mock-ups because I find I change my mind a lot. With webpage mock-ups spread over many pages in FreeHand, if I decide to change the point size of the subhead style, it instantly changes everywhere in the file.

Maybe the designers of Fireworks were thinking more about buttons and banners and such and intended symbols to fill this role. But they don't work at all for text elements, and work very awkwardly for some path elements. Tables, which I deal with often, (visible tables containing data, not HTML tables) are a good example. You wouldn't want every cell of a table to be a symbol--there would be no easy way to drag the points to resize the columns and rows. In Fireworks now there's no way to change the cell background color (or stroke or font) without shift-selecting each one and setting the fill color. This kind of change is a cinch in FreeHand. Illy and FreeHand have both styles and symbols and they complement each other nicely.

#4 abeall

abeall

FireworksNut

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 07:18 AM

They don't attach to the object in any way as styles in Illustrator or FreeHand

Ah, I gotcha. Yes, this has been a top request of mine, as well. Since FW is used for web graphics so much, it seems Styles could be very similar in use to CSS Classes. Each element, and text block, could have a dropdown to define Class/Style, and then you could export all used Styles/Classes into a CSS document.

The only problem is a lot of style stuff(filters, etc) have no near equivalent in CSS(actually, there is the text-shadow ;) ), but I would like to see Styles linked and editable as well.

#5 so1980==MikeTaylor

so1980==MikeTaylor

FireworksNut

• FwGurus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:Fireworks, Sociolinguistics, Dialects, New York City, & Burritos.

Posted 08 March 2007 - 09:27 PM

They're really presets. You can change the scope of the style by selecting "Edit" from the Styles palette menu, but that's about it. You can't change, say, the fill color or the line width or the font in a text style. And even if you could change the style definition in the palette, it wouldn't change the objects which you've applied it to, because Fireworks doesn't record that info anywhere.

You're right that you can't change much from the Edit Styles... option, but you can modify any (text) style by hand, then save it as a new style if you like it. You can turn off filters, add new ones, change colors, etc.... Does this make sense, or are you referring to something different?

#6 Bill Gregg

Bill Gregg

Fireworker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 11:08 AM

Since you can't directly edit the style, you could create a new style, and then delete the old one. But in the template our team uses there are 160 styles. They have to be alphabetized--otherwise it takes way too long to find a particular style. Currently you can't even reorder them manually. Also, there should be an option to ditch the swatches in favor of a simple text list of styles. Mousing over swatches so that the name is displayed at the bottom of the palette wastes time.

The other problem with the current implementation of styles in Fireworks is that you should be able to edit any aspect of a style and see that style change made in all objects which the styles have been applied to, as style sheets work in other design and drawing apps. This ability would allow you to quickly make fill, stroke and font changes across many objects on many pages with a single command.

#7 so1980==MikeTaylor

so1980==MikeTaylor

FireworksNut

• FwGurus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:Fireworks, Sociolinguistics, Dialects, New York City, & Burritos.

Posted 14 March 2007 - 06:19 PM

ah, now i see what you're getting at. good ideas, i think.

#8 spiral

spiral

Fireworks Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Interests:design, css, icon design

Posted 29 August 2007 - 05:22 AM

Oh, this one would be amazing! I do miss fh-style styles

#9 TeddyNguyen

TeddyNguyen

Fireworks Sparkle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 04:33 PM

simulation credit

Thanks for sharing this useful information. It's great.

#10 cherylhiggins

cherylhiggins

Fireworks Sparkle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 11:46 AM

I know right? The fh-styles were so easy to do and we had more room to do things with it.

------------------
poison ivy remedies

#11 mikelangelo11

mikelangelo11

FireworksCommander

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 09:07 PM

Fireworks is the graphic/web design application we would be using to design the website's visual interface and to prepare images for the web site from it.Dreamweaver is the web authoring tool.we would be using to build our website's design template from the images exported from Fireworks upto completion of the website by creating the web pages from this template and linking them together.