Photo

Can I use Photoshop tutorials to learn Fireworks?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 legolug

legolug

Fireworks Sparkle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 02:28 AM

Hey guys!
I'm in the middle of learning Fireworks. I chose it over Photoshop because a lot of people say it's THE tool for web design. I experimented with it and I must say they are right. It really is an amazing tool for designing websites! But.. over the internet for every Fireworks tutorial there's 100 Photoshop tutorials. I mean, there's a huge amount of Photoshop resources and tutorials which would make learning Photoshop a lot easier.

But I was thinking.. Photoshop and Fireworks aren't so different after all. Could it be possible to learn Fireworks from Photoshop tutorials?
And the kind of tutorials I'm referring to isn't "How to use the pen tool" or "how to resize images". Not the basic stuff. I'm talking about tutorials that teach you how to design websites and logos, design principles, etc.

#2 DaveH

DaveH

FireworksNut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 11:09 AM

That's a great question, and happily the answer is "Yes, you can study other design tutorials and still learn to use Fireworks!"

There are basically two types of tutorials: those that teach you how to use a specific tool (e.g., how to use context aware fill on Photoshop) and those that teach you how to develop better design skills (e.g., color theory, using grid systems, interaction design, typography, etc.) Some of the tool tutorials can actually be used for multiple tools, such as learning how to use the Pen Tool more effectively - you could learn techniques for Fireworks by reading Illustrator tutorials. But good design theory and technique tutorials are independent of the tools - they may use a specific tool in their examples, but it really doesn't matter if you are using Photoshop, Fireworks, or Corel Draw - because design theory is the same even if you use watercolor or oil paint. :)

If you are reading a tutorial for Photoshop, Illustrator, or another design tool (such as Pixelmator), you /will/ find that how you execute the techniques will be different in Fireworks (e.g., each tool handles masking slightly differently, but they all support masking), so you may need to tinker and experiment a bit to get the same effect, but much of the time you can get a very similar end result.

Good luck, and have fun with Fireworks!

Dave