#1 davejlewis84

davejlewis84

Fireworks Sparkle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:24 AM

Hi folks,

I'm new to the board, i had a brief look around for a tutorial on this style but couldn't find one. i wish to change a photo into an image similar to the ones used on this website http://www.oceantreasure235.co.uk/ (the image in the header and the image of Jakie Chan on the Footer) I'm unsure of the actual name of this styling so sorry if the description in the thread title is incorrect.Does anyone know of any good tutorials or methods i should look up to achieve this effect?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

#2 abeall

abeall

FireworksNut

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:53 PM

Well you might call that sort of effect as "Posterize", but the truth is those images were probably made by hand-tracing the original photo with vector tools, which you could do in Fireworks.

For creating a posterize effect, Fireworks does not have a built in filter "posterize" filter but you can apply the same technical effect by using the levels filter (Filters > Adjust Color > Levels) and setting the left/right input values to be really close to each other (look at the attached image.)

Posterizing an image sometimes will work okay, but it won't look as good as tracing the vectors. To do that you use the Pen tool or the Vector Path tool.

Attached Images

• posterize-levels.png