#1 rickythegreat

rickythegreat

Fireworks Sparkle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:27 AM

Hello guys. Ill be short and sweet.

I am a photoshop expert who is primarily a web developer (eg... I write the code at the company).

I am working with a new graphic artist here who insists on using fireworks.

I find that the file sizes are DRASTICALLY LARGER when saved in fireworks compared to photoshop. so i have been exporting the files as a PSD and using photoshops "save for web and devices" to reduce the file size on the images to make them web friendly.

I have searched google and cannot find a way to "save for web and devices" in fireworks.

Am I blind (possible) or is there a way to do this in fireworks? Or do I need to export every image the designer sends me as a PSD?

Illustrator has this feature as well. Cannot find it in fireworks.

#2 semaphore

semaphore

FireStarter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:33 AM

Hello guys. Ill be short and sweet.

I am a photoshop expert who is primarily a web developer (eg... I write the code at the company).

I am working with a new graphic artist here who insists on using fireworks.

I find that the file sizes are DRASTICALLY LARGER when saved in fireworks compared to photoshop. so i have been exporting the files as a PSD and using photoshops "save for web and devices" to reduce the file size on the images to make them web friendly.

I have searched google and cannot find a way to "save for web and devices" in fireworks.

Am I blind (possible) or is there a way to do this in fireworks? Or do I need to export every image the designer sends me as a PSD?

Illustrator has this feature as well. Cannot find it in fireworks.

Actually fireworks does a real good job at exporting images for the web. I think there was recent article not too long ago that did a comparison between PS/FW and if I recall correctly FW won. There are 2 ways I do it depending on the situation. If i want to export a transparent png file, I group or select all of the elements that I want to export. I then copy. Create a new document, choose transparent background. Paste your elements in the new document. If the canvas doesn't fit snuggly, click on the fit canvas button. There should be an optimize panel in the upper right hand side (if you don't see it, click on window > optimize). There you will see a bunch of optimization options. Choose the png version that suits your needs. Then click file > export. I use this same method if I am creating css sprites.

The other way I export images from a design is using the slice tool. It's located in the left hand tool panel. looks like this :http://www.livetrainingsession.com/tips/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/fireworks_slice_tool.jpg

Use this tool to slice areas on the design you want to export. Once you draw out a slice. Click on it. In the same upper right hand optimization panel mentioned above, choose the optimization type. Fireworks comes with predefined defaults that's good to start with but I usually end up make some adjustments like quality or maybe I need specific color to be transparent in my gif. Towards the top of your document window there is a preview button. Click on this when you have your slice selected so that you can see how it will render. You can use the preview to help determine which export format is best for the image you are exporting. When you're happy with it. Click back from preview to original. Right click on the slice and choose export selected slice.

Hope this helps & good luck

#3 Mikko

Mikko

Fireworks Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Interests:Bacon

Posted 03 July 2011 - 02:17 AM

Try "Image Preview" via Files-menu

#4 Chrisarmstrong

Chrisarmstrong

Fireworks Sparkle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 01:14 AM

Actually fireworks does a real good job at exporting images for the web. I think there was recent article not too long ago that did a comparison between PS/FW and if I recall correctly FW won. There are 2 ways I do it depending on the situation. If i want to export a transparent png file, I group or select all of the elements that I want to export. I then copy. Create a new document, choose transparent background. Paste your elements in the new document. If the canvas doesn't fit snuggly, click on the fit canvas button. There should be an optimize panel in the upper right hand side (if you don't see it, click on window > optimize). There you will see a bunch of optimization options. Choose the png version that suits your needs. Then click file > export. I use this same method if I am creating css sprites.

The other way I export images from a design is using the slice tool. It's located in the left hand tool panel. looks like this :http://www.livetrainingsession.com/tips/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/fireworks_slice_tool.jpg

Use this tool to slice areas on the design you want to export. Once you draw out a slice. Click on it. In the same upper right hand optimization panel mentioned above, choose the optimization type. Fireworks comes with predefined defaults that's good to start with but I usually end up make some adjustments like quality or maybe I need specific color to be transparent in my gif. Towards the top of your document window there is a preview button. Click on this when you have your slice selected so that you can see how it will render. You can use the preview to help determine which export format is best for the image you are exporting. When you're happy with it. Click back from preview to original. Right click on the slice and choose export selected slice.

Hope this helps & good luck

Thanks dude for sharing such nice information,Really above post helped me a lot.I will go with the above things.

Thanks.

#5 DaniellaSavard

DaniellaSavard

Fireworks Sparkle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 04:57 AM

i go with this person semaphore.he is good comment.

#6 DonnaCalderon1

DonnaCalderon1

Fireworks Sparkle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 12:45 AM

is it.it is really great effect by you.

#7 Xanthus29

Xanthus29

Fireworks Sparkle

• Members