3 replies to this topic

#1 lPalmer

lPalmer

Fireworks Sparkle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 12:13 PM

So I was playing around with the Pen tool and experimenting with shapes and noticed that I could actually finally select individual points in a path and use the controls in the Align panel to position them to my liking. The problem I am having, however, is that I can't quite figure out what the highlighted 3 buttons at the top of the panel are referring to (see attached image). They don't have a tooltip and neither a Help manual consultation or a Google search gave me any clue as to what these controls actually do.

Posted Image

The first control seems to produce expected behavior, whereas the others I am not too sure. Any ideas?

#2 DaveH

DaveH

FireworksNut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 02:28 PM

Good find! Most people never discover that the Align panel has options for subselected nodes. :)

The three options at the top are:

(1) Align using the node points

(2) Align the left control handles (control handles define the Bezier curve)

(3) Align the right control handles

I haven't been able to figure out how "left" and "right" are defined, because the direction of the path varies based on how it is drawn, but if you select multiple points and then align for either the left or right control handles, you'll see how the bezier curves are adjusted to align the end points of the control handles.

Hope this helps,

Dave

#3 lPalmer

lPalmer

Fireworks Sparkle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 03:14 PM

Thanks a lot for this Dave! It does make sense with your explanation.

So, I went to try it again just to observe what results I would get, but the Align panel won't show me those control handle options anymore. And it doesn't matter if I select one point or more on the same path, the Align panel won't update. First time I got them to appear, all I needed was to select a point, but it's not working now. Did you observe this behavior too or am I missing something? :dunno:

EDIT: Seems it was a bug, had to reboot the computer and the problem was fixed. Thanks again for your help.

#4 curtj

curtj

FireworksFreak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Allsorts =]

Posted 19 August 2011 - 07:53 AM

...EDIT: Seems it was a bug, had to reboot the computer and the problem was fixed. Thanks again for your help.

I'll just add that this doesn't seem to work when editing a text container path, although it's easy enough to just detach the text from the path and do it, then reattach the text to (or into) the path.