9 replies to this topic

#1 appliancejunk

appliancejunk

Fireworks Sparkle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 07:16 PM

Hope this is the correct board to post this question in.

How did you go about learning Fireworks when you first started using it?

#2 DaveH

DaveH

FireworksNut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 09:18 PM

I started using Fireworks way back with version 3 in 1999, and I learned by jumping right in. That is still how I learn most new tools - I open it up and start exploring and playing. Eventually I realize that I need more structured lessons, so I seek online tutorials and community forums. I also find examples of work done in the tool, and I try to reproduce it. If I can get my hands on source files, I dissect them to learn how they were created. Once I am more comfortable with the tool, I try to replicate work done in other tools (e.g., how to do something in Fireworks that was originally done in Photoshop or Illustrator.) Back in the earlier days of the web, software came with manuals, today you need to buy books. Some software has lots of book titles and authors, while others (like Fireworks) has a smaller selection. I try to get book recommendations (or reviews) before buying a book to learn how to use software.

Mostly I learn new tools simply by using it and having projects or work that I need to get done. Deadlines and paychecks can be great learning aides. :)

Dave

#3 Mikko

Mikko

Fireworks Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Interests:Bacon

Posted 20 October 2010 - 05:08 PM

it was somewhere 2002 while I had to do webpages for my friends band. I was working (not studying) at school which had lots of licences. Before that I had a nice non-techy life with house and yards n stuff.

I got access to Adobe, Jasc, Macromedia, Corel.. all of them. Paintshop was simple, Photoshop was weird. Then there was this thing .. Macromedia Fireworks 4. I opened couple premade documents with some globes and tweaked it around by moving and destroying stuff. I figured out that this might be nice tool to create freaky artwork for freaky band with freaky music. Later on I got into the actual webdesign and now i somehow have ended up with professional webdesigner / illustrator using FW as my primary tool. weeird.

#4 Jim Babbage .:CMX:.

Jim Babbage .:CMX:.

FireStarter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Photography, digital imaging, reading, listening to audiobooks, playing around with Fireworks!

Posted 20 October 2010 - 05:24 PM

I started with Fireworks V1.2 The first time it came bundled with Dreamweaver. The first book I bought was Joe Lowery's Fireworks Bible and it really opened my eyes to the potential of the app. From there, I kept creating things - design orientated, web layouts, etc and like David, I look at tutorials for other apps like Photoshop and tried to reproduce the tutorial in Fireworks.

#5 DaveH

DaveH

FireworksNut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:57 PM

I started with Fireworks V1.2 The first time it came bundled with Dreamweaver. The first book I bought was Joe Lowery's Fireworks Bible and it really opened my eyes to the potential of the app. From there, I kept creating things - design orientated, web layouts, etc and like David, I look at tutorials for other apps like Photoshop and tried to reproduce the tutorial in Fireworks.

Version 1.2? Was that delivered on 8-inch floppy disks? :)

I started studying information processing on the web in 1996-97 while I was still a psychology professor, but I only used text editors for writing HTML and relied on ready-made icons and images. I didn't start getting into web graphics until late 1999 or early 2000, and by then Fireworks was at the v3 / v4 period. It was a real eye-opener for me, because I started to understand how the ready-made graphics I had been using were created in the first place, and now I could create custom graphics myself!

Dave

#6 Big Fish

Big Fish

Fireworks Sparkle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 11:24 PM

Well, before Adobe, and even Fireworks, there was Macromedia xRes. I got bought that in a bundle from Macromedia and was also perplexed as to how it worked, especially since Macromedia was targeting Photoshop, and I was very comfortable working with Photoshop, and preferred using it for Web design. I think it may have been around version 4 or 5 that I really started to look at Fireworks as a solid web designing tool. Then, MX (v6) came along and I was hooked. And here I am today loving FW CS5. But...enough about my boring history.

The question is, as I understand it: How does one LEARN Fireworks?

So, let me see if I can address that.

First, pick a single tutorial, (which nowadays are just a Google Search away) and learn that specific task that the tutorial details. Repeat the tutorial at least 2-3 times until you can easily skip over steps and/or just produce the end result in the tutorial from memory.

Second, repeat this with another tutorial, etc.

My point is, it is very easy to get overwhelmed in Fireworks because there are SO MANY THINGS it can do. I always refer to it as my Swiss Army Knife! And, that's the point. A Swiss Army Knife has all these fancy gadgets built into it, but you rarely use more than one or two at a time, and maybe, in some cases, you might not use everything. It will depend a lot on your work flow.

As you work through a tutorial at a time, maybe set a goal, 1 or 2 per week, or even 1 every other day. It just depends on how much time you have to dedicate to learning the program.

Along the way, in between, do as Dave suggests and 'play' with the program, meaning do the things you know already and then see what happens when you try something else.

Also, I am about halfway through Jim's book: "Fireworks CS5 Classroom in A Book" and that is a great place to take a chapter per day or so to learn a new technique.

You can buy the book here.

Hope that helps?

#7 raja

raja

FireMonkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 08:33 PM

i started it from FW cs an i learned by exploring the pngs and mostly Lian the Fireworks Masteo helped me to learn.Also i used some video Training Tutorials.

#8 Zoe20

Zoe20

FireworksNut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:37 PM

i am learning by seeing and opening the pngs and observing how they made a specific effect etc.. I think its the advantage of FW and why don we use that if there is a option?? I think its the best way to learn FW

#9 Jedi

Jedi

Fireworker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 02:02 PM

hm.. started with MX2004..
how i learnd it.. hmm maybe by doing something.. I've looked at a picture and wondered how I could do it in fireworks.. so I learned more and more tricks.. it was more complicated..
Now you do not think how to do it but do what you want :)

#10 popi

popi

FireworksFreak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:Games, Cartoons, Music and Designing

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:49 AM

Well I started learning fireworks in 2005 it was difficult using it because I had no tutorials to use but after months of playing around with it, am now a fireworks commander.