3 replies to this topic

#1 ohiodoc

ohiodoc

Fireworks Sparkle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 12:00 PM

OK I have been building websites the last year with photoshop and dreamweaver and flash. I am starting to learn fireworks. How much should I use fireworks. Should I make all the pages. links, rollovers, and my text in fireworks or should i just make the background and do everything else in dreamweaver. I know I have to replace the images in dreamweaver to place my flash file but that is simple. Just not sure how much I should use fireworks. I watched a tut video where they create the entire site in firworks with links then sliced up the page and imported it in dreamweaver then it was done. Is that really the best way or should I still be using div layers for my text and do the rollovers and links in dreamweaver. Just some little help here before I start on a new big project.

#2 DaveH

DaveH

FireworksNut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 03:25 PM

You can design the pages in Fireworks, optimize the graphcis, and even export preliminary CSS and HTML to be modified and optimized in Dreamweaver, but I would not recommend relying on the Javascript generated by Fireworks for rollovers, buttons, and image swaps. Dreamweaver has much newer, better, and cross-browser compatible Javascript available.

My typical workflow is to use Fireworks to save some typing-time by having it generate the basic div structure, CSS styles for text, and optimized graphics, then I assemble and optimize everything in Dreamweaver. Fireworks is a great tool, but it's not an "all-in-one web design and coding" miracle. :)

Dave

#3 ohiodoc

ohiodoc

Fireworks Sparkle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 07:57 AM

so using the new css export in fireworks can you set up the links in fireworks or should that be done in dreamweaver since fireworks can only export one page at a time using css.

#4 DaveH

DaveH

FireworksNut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 02:37 PM

so using the new css export in fireworks can you set up the links in fireworks or should that be done in dreamweaver since fireworks can only export one page at a time using css.

You can export multiple pages in the new FW CS5, but each page will have it's own CSS file, so you will still need to consolidate, simplify, and optimize the code, but much of the heavy-lifting on entering style info will be done for you.

You can include links with the CSS export - FW will generate HTML with live text and links. You assign links to images by adding a link to slice over the image (remember that for the CSS export, FW needs you to put a slice over anything to be exported as a bitmap) and by using the "link" component symbol from the HTML Common Library. (You can also give a text object an <a> tag in the Properties panel, but you will need to edit the URL in the exported HTML.)

Dave