#1 Mizpah

Mizpah

Fireworks Sparkle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 02:21 AM

Hi Folks,

Well I have been lurking for a while now, learning from various tutorials and posters, and now its time to post - unfortunately I am posting with a headache and I hope someone can help!

I have 27,342 jpegs, all product shots, on a (thankfully!) clean white background. The dimensions vary greatly - i.e. some are square, some are 'tall' rectangles, some are 'wide' rectangles. The vast majority are set so that the top is correct, but some will need rotating (I guess that part is a manual job as I cant identify which ones!). The images are all 90DPI, and vary from 200 to 800 pixels on a given side.

I need to turn every image into an undistorted square of various sizes - manually I would do this by extending the shortest edge of the canvas, to match the longest edge of the canvas, and ensure that everything remains centered. I would then produce my small/medium/large images for store use from this square (70/70, 135/135 and 'largest available), using a re-size, and an export for web for each one. I don't really feel like doing that 27,342 times!

I am an occasional fireworks user (I have used basic batch commands before when all images started the same size!) but build our internal website - I have just been asked to get all of these images live before I leave tonight, it's now 10:15am - what the best route forwards ? I should add that I have seen comments on batch and variable sizes before, but I cant see anything that addresses the issue of the target dimension for the 'shorter' side!

Many Thanks in advance,

Mizpah

#2 Mikko

Mikko

Fireworks Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Interests:Bacon

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:02 PM

Hi Mizpah and welcome to the forums!

Your task bit challenging. I guess you got the right tool, only thing is that you need to figure out how to work the process.

I would go for History-panel and Save custom command for automation. There should be information available at the forums how to do a custom command from history-steps. Your job might require set canvas size and aligning center/middle (Position point activated comes handy at Align-panel). The overall task should be first done to individual image via step-by-step process which is saved as command via History panel and then run to a larger batch of images. Aim for the largest size first, get images ready at 800x800px and there get fixed images ready for resize for smaller sizes(which is the easiest job, premade functions can be found at batch-menu options).

Sorry that I cant be more specific, I just have a hunch that this way might the right answer to you very inhuman given task.

Good luck and hope fellow FW-gurus would come to the rescue and fill my very blur vision here.

#3 Tobias

Tobias

Fireworks Sparkle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 04:39 AM

"I need to turn every image into an undistorted square of various sizes - manually I would do this by extending the shortest edge of the canvas, to match the longest edge of the canvas, and ensure that everything remains centered. I would then produce my small/medium/large images for store use from this square (70/70, 135/135 and 'largest available), using a re-size, and an export for web for each one. I don't really feel like doing that 27,342 times!"
Oh.. I'm simply interested whether you did all the 27,342 manually? u're a true workaholic.