Fireworker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:FW, FW and more FW...

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:40 AM

Edited to Add a proper lens flare as suggested by JChap and MagdalenaH

Part 1:

This morning I saw an advertisement on a webpage somewhere and really liked the glow effect it had. I spent sometime on it and managed to get something close to it (source file attached):
Posted Image

Let's see how this could be created in a few easy steps.

1. Create a new document of any size you wish (for this tutorial 1024 x 768 size) and set the background color to #000011.

2. Add a text (font: calibri, #FFFFFF, size: 80, you can choose Arial too). Add a glow effect to it with the following settings:
Posted Image

3. Create a new layer below the text layer and name it "Background Glow". Copy the text from the text layer and paste it in the "Background Glow" layer.
Select the text in the "Background Glow" layer and press Ctrl + Shift + P to change it into path (alternatively, right click on the text and select Convert to Path). The Background Glow layer should now contain:
Posted Image

Change the properties of this path group to Feather 5:
Posted Image

4. Create an ellipse in the "Background Glow" layer as shown in the screenshot below
Posted Image
and apply the following properties:
Blend mode:
Posted Image

Fill color: Starting: #FFFFFF, 100% opacity; Ending: #FFFFFF, 23% opacity, Feather: 123%
Posted Image

5. Use the pen tool to create a quadrilateral and place it as shown in the figure below:
Posted Image

Change the edge to Feather 70. Add a Linear Gradient Fill:
Posted Image Posted Image

Change the blend mode to Luminosity and opacity to 50:
Posted Image

6. Copy the layer 5 more times and place them as shown in the figure below. For the bottom right, draw two ellipses and place them accordingly:
Posted Image

7. Draw an circle as below and keep it at the top of the "Background Glow" layer.
Posted Image

...and change the properties to:
Posted Image

With this we have created the background glow. Your Background Glow layer might look like this:
Posted Image

8. Create a new layer and name it "Foreground Glow" and place it above the initial text Layer.

9. Draw an ellipse (fill #FFFFFF) as shown in the image below
Posted Image

...and change its properties to:
Posted Image
Change the blend mode to "Soft Light".

10.Draw another ellipse (fill #FFFFFF) as shown in the image below
Posted Image

apply Feather 100, Blend mode: Soft Light.

#2 funkyasl

funkyasl

Fireworker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:42 AM

Part 2:

11. Create two small circles and place them on "a" and "n" of the text as shown
Posted Image
change their properties to Feather 25 and 10 respectively.

12. Create an ellipse and place it across "a" and "n" as shown
Posted Image
change its properties to Feather 16, Opacity 65:

The foreground glow is completed now and might look like this:
Posted Image

The lens flare effect is fairly simple but a bit tedious and requires some patience. Thanks to Justin's lens flare tutorial for the Oil Splatter effect:

First of all, draw a slanting line across "a" to keep the elements of the lens flare aligned. Proceed to create each of the small elements in the flare. There are 14 different geometrical figures in all. It will be difficult to explain the whole process. Refer to the attached png file for reference. It mainly uses gradient colors, feather strokes and blur effects for most of the elements.

Hope you enjoyed this tutorial. Feedback and comments would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Attached Images

• Humanity.png

#3 jchap

jchap

Fireworker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 07:22 AM

Beautiful effect. The pronounced glow behind the letters "an" is especially good. Nice colors and mood to this one.

As far as the spatter effect (lens flare) goes, though, it's interesting, but it doesn't feel like it matches with the glow effect. If it's a lens flare, I think it should be a bit more obvious as such. Right now, it looks like part spatter, part glow. I'm not sure how you could get a decent lens flare effect happening in Fireworks, but I think you're on the right track.

#4 MagdalenaH

MagdalenaH

FireworksNut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 04:00 PM

I agree with jchap's comment - a proper lens flare would make it better. You can google "lens flare" in image search, and find a photo with a real one, then try to recreate it.

#5 funkyasl

funkyasl

Fireworker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:05 PM

Beautiful effect. The pronounced glow behind the letters "an" is especially good. Nice colors and mood to this one.

As far as the spatter effect (lens flare) goes, though, it's interesting, but it doesn't feel like it matches with the glow effect. If it's a lens flare, I think it should be a bit more obvious as such. Right now, it looks like part spatter, part glow. I'm not sure how you could get a decent lens flare effect happening in Fireworks, but I think you're on the right track.

I agree with jchap's comment - a proper lens flare would make it better. You can google "lens flare" in image search, and find a photo with a real one, then try to recreate it.

Hi J & Magdalena,
Thanks for the response.
Now that you say it, i too feel that the lens flare isn't up to the mark. After spending time creating the glow effect, i became too lazy :P
Let me come up with something better here. :)

Thanks.

#6 funkyasl

funkyasl

Fireworker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 03:39 AM

Hi guys,
I've modified the tutorial to accommodate the latest changes, as suggested by JChap and MagdalenaH.

Hope this looks fine.

Thanks.

#7 raja

raja

FireMonkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 11:35 PM

very nice

#8 funkyasl

funkyasl

Fireworker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 09:37 AM

very nice

Hey, thanks Raja. Glad that you liked it.