blue2x

FireworksMaster

• FwGurus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts
  • Interests:Adobe Fireworks , Business , Investing , Art , Technology

Posted 05 September 2009 - 05:57 AM

Hi guys, I need advice on the following :

a. Best Laptop for Fireworks or Graphic Design in General , with some gaming features.

I was thinking of buying a 15 inch Macbook pro, the one with the 256 video ram , or a dell xps studio laptop. Or what can you suggest ?

b. For photographers out there, whats the best affordable semi pro or beginner dlsr camera ?

Im really fascinated with time lapse photography , landscapes and some portraits. Does megapixel really matter?

#2 MagdalenaH

MagdalenaH

FireworksNut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 08:54 AM

Hey Blue,

I will respond to your question under (b.) .

There is this website which gives great camera reviews - I have heard many people rely on their analysis, and so do I - Digital Camera Reviews, I am sure you can find the answers you are looking for there. If you are just starting to get into it, I'd say something along this Canon PowerShot would be suitable. They say this is the best buy for the money (in the range of up to $600), beyond that you would be getting into professional stuff, which gets more expensive. As for the megapixels - you can get solid results with anything from 8MP up. However, if you go higher than that, you've got more flexibility when you crop your photos - there are simply more pixels to choose from, and you can make larger prints.

I've got a Canon PS S3 IS (that was the top one in that category at the time I was buying it), and I am quite pleased with the results (even with the mere 6MP). The quality of printed photos is excellent even on 12" x 10" size (even though I was told by my photography instructor that I should go for 5x7" at most).

I tried to upload one of the photos which I took with that camera, but it does not seem to be working. I will try again later. [edit: figured it out - I guess my image was too large. I optimized it and posted now: Koko the Seagull]

#3 Impagliazzo

Impagliazzo

FireworksCommander

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 07:00 AM

If you want a really good beginner DSLR (real DSLR not a bridge camera) get the Canon Rebel XS or XSi.

Still photography is great! I never really got into, but it's one of my main interests (Cinematography being my first field and Design an old interest that I almost abandoned :-P)

Megapixel matters, but it all depends, on sensor technology, if there's real resolution or just interpolation bs etc.

You can't go wrong with the Canon Rebels though.

#4 designmesk

designmesk

Fireworks Sparkle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:design, photography, ...

Posted 15 November 2009 - 04:32 AM

I would not recommend buying Dell Studio XPS. That is a notebook with horribly designed cooling system. MacBook Pro would be much better.
But if you want a Windows notebook, Dell Studio 15" or new 17" with Core i7 processors would be great. NBD service is great also.
At home I use Dell Precision M4400 with Dell dock and Dell external LCD. It's great!

Another thing is Fireworks on Mac. My colegues are Mac users and they are suffering random crashes with FW CS4.

Marek (designme.sk)

#5 Michel Bozgounov

Michel Bozgounov

FireMonk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:Webdesign (XHTML, CSS, graphics)

Posted 01 December 2009 - 12:08 PM

Hi guys, I need advice on the following :

a. Best Laptop for Fireworks or Graphic Design in General, with some gaming features.

I was thinking of buying a 15 inch Macbook pro, the one with the 256 video ram , or a dell xps studio laptop. Or what can you suggest ?

b. For photographers out there, whats the best affordable semi pro or beginner dlsr camera ?

I'm really fascinated with time lapse photography, landscapes and some portraits. Does megapixel really matter?

a. Gaming laptop, a Mac? Hehe, I don't think so... :) Gaming laptops are only Windows ones. Some powerful DELL with an i7 or Core 2 Duo CPU and a very powerful graphic card might be the best choice for you.

If we speak strictly graphics and business, though, I would suggest a ThinkPad -- T400/T500 or T400s. Reliability, excellent heat dissipation design, robust, powerful, great keyboard, works fine with Fireworks and any graphic design app. For gaming, though, don't get a ThinkPad -- they are just for work.

Btw, screens in modern laptops are rarely good (I still remember the times when you could get a ThinkPad R50 or T60 with a real IPS matrix LCD! these belong to the past, however) and usually viewing angles are quite narrow. This is just a FOL (fact of life), so don't pay too much attention... :)

So, it depends, what you really need your laptop for.

b. If you're into photography, DPreview.com is an excellent website, indeed. Highly recommend!

I use a Canon S5 IS, but it's not a pro camera (I was on a low budget).

For you, I'd recommend an entry-level DSLR and at least 3 good lenses -- one universal, one telephoto, and one portrtait or macro (close-up) lens. Canon or Nikon or Pentax or Olympus are all good choices. Pick up what suits you best! :)

Hope I've helped you a bit...