doofdoof

FireworksCommander

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 05:59 AM

Hi there,

long time user of macromedia / adobe suite with high use of fireworks

Have finally got around to installing CS4, and its all very nice, but having trouble setting up the grid as a command.

Previously in CS3, one could set the grid size via the drop down. But now one has to go to preferences to change the grid size.

I used to use a command to change the grid size to cut down on workflow in CS3, but now I can't save the command steps in CS4 as they don't appear in the history panel.

Anyone know how to save a command or change the preferences so that I can define something other than the standard (and painful) 36x36 grid? I only want a 10x10 grid *sigh.

Thanks
Dave

#2 Mikko

Mikko

Fireworks Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Interests:Bacon

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:27 AM

I always go for 10x10, i don't understand why that weird 72DPI-based 36x36 is default grid.

Its really annoying that CS4 do not save the grid-settings, but i can live with it. This is good wishlist-material, 10x10 new default grid.

#3 doofdoof

doofdoof

FireworksCommander

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 05:20 PM

Okay Doke.

Dave Hogue over on the Adobe support forums provided me with a script for the 10x10 grid. I'll direct quote:

Here is a command to create a 10x10 grid. Copy the following four lines of code and put them in a simple text file, save it, then rename it something like 10x10_grid.jsf. It needs to have the .jsf file extension for Fireworks to understand it.

fw.getDocumentDOM().setGridSize({x:10, y:10});
fw.getDocumentDOM().setGridColor("#cccccc");
fw.getDocumentDOM().setShowGrid(true);
fw.getDocumentDOM().setSnapToGrid(true);

Put the file in the Commands folder of your personal Fireworks settings. On a Windows XP PC this should be something like:

C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Application Data\Adobe\Fireworks CS4\Commands

The next time you start Fireworks it will appear in the bottom section of the Commands list from the main menu. You can edit each line of the command to change the grid size, grid color, and whether or not to show the grid and use snap to grid.

Hope this helps.

Of note for Vista the directory is:
C:\Users\<Username>AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Fireworks CS4\Commands

And it works a charm.

Actually I did think of a way to do it before I went to bed last night.
Create command in CS3, copy .jsf file to CS4. I may try it later and see if it works.

Damn you adobe for taking away easy grid change in the View drop down and not allowing command history to be used for command scripts!

Happy Dave :D

Attached Files

#4 SiamJai

SiamJai

Fireworks Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 08:17 PM

That's clever! Glad you got helped out, and thanks for sharing the solution here as well.

I too wonder whether a custom command made from CS3 history steps would work in CS4. I've read about some CS3-specific commands break in CS4, but this could still work. If only I still had CS3 installed...

#5 doofdoof

doofdoof

FireworksCommander

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 09:17 PM

well i dont' know if the above solution is a CS3 command or not. All I know is that it works.
I just thought that the CS3 -> CS4 method may work (according to what floats in my head), unless you've read that commands break in CS4.

#6 SiamJai

SiamJai

Fireworks Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:30 PM

Some did, yes. I can't recall the details, but it seems that they were unique cases. I think I've seen them mentioned in the Developer Center.

I agree that the CS3 -> CS4 method would be a neat way to 'rescue' old functions that were changed with the upgrade, like this one. :)

#7 DaveH

DaveH

FireworksNut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:08 AM

well i dont' know if the above solution is a CS3 command or not. All I know is that it works.
I just thought that the CS3 -> CS4 method may work (according to what floats in my head), unless you've read that commands break in CS4.

Yes, most commands saved from the History panel in CS3 will work in CS4. Although I haven't yet come across any that do /not/ work, it's possible that there are a few that will not work - perhaps some text commands may not work since they switched to the Adobe Type Engine in CS4.

Glad that grid command worked for you.

Dave

#8 SiamJai

SiamJai

Fireworks Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 06:33 PM

Thanks for the reply, Dave! :) Your mention about the new ATE helped me remember where I saw the broken CS3 >> CS4 interaction. It was Smart Label by Sarthak, and it's unusable in CS4 because of the new type engine, like you thought.

Although it's not a command, the changes affected the underlying JavaScript that both symbols and commands rely on.