4 replies to this topic

#1 10010110

FireMonk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 06:48 AM

Dear Santa Claus,

Iíve recently had to design something pop art style and as you probably know one remarkable feature of pop art is the use of halftone dots. Iíve searched forever and unfortunately couldnít find any way to do this in Fireworks so I wish there was an extension that could apply halftone dots to a vector or something like that.

I remember there used to be a demo Photoshop filter in Fireworks that could do that (Eye Candy or Splat something like that) but there isnít anymore and I could never get any PS plugin to work in FW anyway. But Fireworks just has got to have some kind of filter like this (could also be a border effect). Is something like this hard to do?

#2 Alan

Alan

FireworksGuru

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts
  • Interests:Longboarding, art and video games

Posted 08 July 2009 - 08:46 PM

I wish we had halftone dots too, dont get me started. :) Supporting photoshop filters in Fireworks would be key. Are you on windows? I think you can use a free ps plugin that works in Fireworks to create halftone dots.

#3 10010110

FireMonk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:35 AM

I wish we had halftone dots too, dont get me started. :) Supporting photoshop filters in Fireworks would be key. Are you on windows? I think you can use a free ps plugin that works in Fireworks to create halftone dots.

Hey Alan, thanks for your reply. Iím on Mac and now that you mention it Iím a little unsure: Are PS plugins only supported in Windows? Because I sure remember that there was some Alien Skin demo stuff in Fireworks but I donít remember if it was only while I was working with Windows. And none of the plugins I was finding on the internet was ever working in my Fireworks (for Mac), donít know what I did wrong. Iíd be grateful for any hint (where to find halftone plugins), though.

Iím not a real programmer so I donít know for sure but I imagine that it shouldnít be a too complex logic to program a halftone extension. But well, if it was that simple Iím sure somebody would have done it already. Iíll just kep on wishing. :)

#4 Alan

Alan

FireworksGuru

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts
  • Interests:Longboarding, art and video games

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:48 PM

Ah thats right, those plugins are for windows and yeah Im on windows. Bummer! :(

#5 SiamJai

SiamJai

Fireworks Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 08:55 PM

I remember there used to be a demo Photoshop filter in Fireworks that could do that (Eye Candy or Splat something like that) but there isnít anymore and I could never get any PS plugin to work in FW anyway. But Fireworks just has got to have some kind of filter like this (could also be a border effect). Is something like this hard to do?

Yes, Splat has a filter called Edges that has a halftone dots effect. Too bad that Alien Skin discontinued Splat. I still kept it though, so feel free to send me the stuff you want the effect to be applied to, and I'll run the filter through it. You know, as a quick-fix until someone comes up with a long-term solution. ;)