15 replies to this topic

#1 raja

raja

FireMonkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:46 AM

Am curious to know does any one here using FW to make brouchure works? Whats the basic size in pixels is ideal for making a brochure for a Industrial company ?Is there any prerequisites?

Regards
Raja

#2 kelton

kelton

FireworksNut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Interests:web design, logo design, user interface design

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:40 AM

brochure = print = CMYK = Not fireworks

i think photoshop, illustator or indesign is ur best bet...or some other page layout software

#3 Alan

Alan

FireworksGuru

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts
  • Interests:Longboarding, art and video games

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:11 AM

Kelton I think that was true 5 years ago if not just 1-2 years ago. A lot of services online allow you to upload a PNG file or some artwork and since Fireworks can save to PSD, most services accept PSD files. This allows you to download their template in PSD format, open it in Fireworks and make your edits/additions and then save back to PSD and deliver it to the service. One service I've used in the past is uprinting.com - Raja, might be more conveinant for you to find a service in india that is similar so you dont have to pay crazy shipping costs which would make the service not worth it for you.

#4 kelton

kelton

FireworksNut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 12:43 PM

oh cool alan, thanks for hte correction but what about the colours? when u save your finish work back to PSD.. do u have to open photoshop and check the colours to see that they havent shifted? wouldnt the whole colour shift thing still occur? if u design in FW how do u get around this then?

fw is the absoloute best.. i wish there was a cmyk mode

#5 kelton

kelton

FireworksNut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 12:53 PM

here are some photoshop templates i found

http://www.48hourpri...-templates.html

#6 stompwampa

stompwampa

FireworksNut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:18 PM

I agree with both Kelton and Alan...you can do A LOT with fireworks...including designing a full brochure.

However, Fireworks is still meant to be a web graphics application...not a print graphics application. For brochures, I use InDesign for the layout, but I use Fireworks to create all the graphics...I just import 300dpi PNG files.

#7 kelton

kelton

FireworksNut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 05:17 AM

hi stomp

thanks for your info... what about colour shifting.. does that take place when u import your graphicks into indesign? or do u do colour corrections in indesign?

#8 stompwampa

stompwampa

FireworksNut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 09:49 AM

Honestly, I can't really notice a huge different between RGB and CMYK colors...so I don't really worry about color correction unless it's for something important such as a logo where the color needs to be precise...in which case I make corrections in InDesign.

#9 raja

raja

FireMonkey

• Members
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 09:50 AM

i think cmyk and rgb difference is a mandatory

#10 raja

raja

FireMonkey

• Members
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 09:51 AM

BTW whats is Adobe In Design is all about? is it an alternative to Adobe pagemaker Popular DTP software???

#11 MagdalenaH

MagdalenaH

FireworksNut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 03:41 AM

BTW whats is Adobe In Design is all about? is it an alternative to Adobe pagemaker Popular DTP software???

InDesign is apparently the DTP tool of the day. Almost all print professionals, newspapers, magazines and book publishers are embracing it these days. And it is a cool program. Right now I am working on a major publication (201 pages) in InDesign. It works like a charm. I'd say if you are designing anything for print that has more than two pages, you should be using InDesign. For pamphlets, posters, two-page brochures and such, Illustrator or Photoshop will do.

Of course, ideally, you would be working on your main document in InDesign, and you would design your graphics using Illustrator or Photoshop (or FW, but then you have the extra step of converting to CMYK and fixing the colors).

#12 Mikko

Mikko

Fireworks Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Interests:Bacon

Posted 15 June 2009 - 12:15 PM

Ive actually heard that some people has done WEBLAYOUTS with INDESIGN. Thats crazy, almost like doing BROCHURES with FIREWORKS :D

#13 kelton

kelton

FireworksNut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:02 PM

or what about doing web sties in Illustrator.. yep i have seen it... crazy i tell u...

#14 stompwampa

stompwampa

FireworksNut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 04:25 PM

Ive actually heard that some people has done WEBLAYOUTS with INDESIGN. Thats crazy, almost like doing BROCHURES with FIREWORKS :D

It actually makes a lot of sense when you think about it.
InDesign is a page layout tool...not necessarily for print only.
It's easy to create a document, give it web dimensions, such as 960x1000, insert a grid and start designing.
The vector tools are similar to what Photoshop has, and you can import images and graphics quite easily.

Even if not for full mockups, you could use it for rapid wireframing pretty easily.

#15 alexcosta

alexcosta

Fireworks Sparkle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 03:00 AM

I have designed a few web header and buttons etc. I prefer adobe fireworks cs5 and can scrape through photo shop cs5 and am beginning to learn Adobe indesign but I want to know what is the best software to use to create banners, headers, buttons etc for websites.

Best Website Designs

#16 ThemeKings

ThemeKings

Fireworker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:Pilot, Model Planes, Drumming, Web Design

Posted 09 September 2011 - 10:19 AM

I've made several using FW. My latest is here:

http://www.tracksandtires.com/downloads/Midwest-Equipment-Product-Catalog-2012.pdf (14meg)

Heres what I do.

1: Create FW Stage at 1290px W & 1650px H

2: Design your page

3: Open Microsoft Word (I use 2007 MS Office) Go to PAGE LAYOUT tab and click on the WATERMARK Option and selecting CUSTOM WATERMARK. Find your image you created and Scale it to 302% and uncheck WASHOUT. Your image is now the page background. (It's faded, but when printed the colors are normal.

4. Next I will DRAW TABLES where I want my text to appear on the page by next clicking on the INSERT tab of MS Word and selecting DRAW TABLE. Once your done organizing where you want your tables to appear you can go and remove the borders around the tables.

*NOTE:
I only do it this way so the Search Engines will read and index my PDF Catalog as Web Bots can read text contained within PDF files.

5. I have ADOBE ACROBAT 9 PRO, so after I save my WORD PAGE when finished, I will then PRINT my word doc, but selecting ADOBE PDF from the print options, which turns the word doc into a single PDF page. (Doesn't really print the page when you do this) Be sure to also select HIGH QUALITY PRINT when do this to preserve the quality of your artwork.

6. If I have multiple pages ADOBE ACROBAT will allow you to combine multiple PDF files into one large PDF file like I done for the example I show above.

Hope that helps. Just another way of creating a PDF Catalog.